East Broad Top # 12 was the first of the six 2-8-2 locomotives that the E.B.T. ordered from Baldwin. The East Broad Top first looked into a 2-8-2 locomotive in July 1911. They wanted a larger engine based on # 11 a 2-6-2 that was ordered in 1907. Baldwin proposed a 2-8-2 locomotive with a bigger boiler and an extra set of driving wheels while keeping all the features of # 11. In September of 1911 the E.B.T. ordered # 12. The locomotive was built in December of 1911. # 12 was then delivered to the railroad in January of 1912. After a trial run it was put into service.
The railroad was so impressed with # 12 that in June of 1912 they ordered # 14 a larger version of # 12. Over the next 8 years they ordered four more locomotives, another locomotive the same as # 14 and three more locomotives larger than # 14 & # 15. Like most Railroads of the day the E.B.T. did not have a locomotive # 13.
Even though # 12 was the smallest of the 2-8-2 locomotives, it was a well-liked locomotive. It was a smooth running engine that was easy to fire, used in both freight and passenger service.
# 12 was given the name Millie in August of 1960. Named for Millie Kovalchick the daughter of Nick Kovalchick the owner of the E.B.T. since 1956. His son Joe still owns the E.B.T. at this time.
Millie sits in the roundhouse at Rockhill Furnace waiting to be returned to service. She last ran in October of 2000.